Tuesday, February 23, 2010

News Story-Print

National recruit signing day is the day that dreams young men have had their entire lives come true. All the recruits from Utah County all came together at 6 a.m. to sign their letter of intent to the school they were choosing to sign with. Pleasant Grove had an all-time high of recruits. 7. All of them division 1 schools. Joey Owens was the 2nd best recruit from Pleasant Grove. I sat down and had a little interview with him about this such thing. C(Chaz) J(Joey Owens)

Chaz: Thanks for your help.
Joey: Anytime for my good friend.
C: So Joey what schools offered you a scholarship?
J: BYU and Stanford

C: Why did you choose BYU over the other schools that offered you a scholarship?
J: The biggest reason for me was being close to home, I want my family to be able to watch me play.

C: What position did BYU offer you a scholorship to play?
J: They offered me to play outside linebacker

C: How do you feel you'll help BYU on the field?
J: I will help because i'm versatile and can go anywhere they need me to go. I have a presence of where i'm at on the field and where the play is heading.

C:What are your expectations for playing time in the first year?
J: I don't expect to play at all the first year, due to injury. If I wasn't injured there's a chance I could play a few games. But with the injuries i'm pretty sure I won't be playing at all this year.

C:What are your expectations winning wise this year for the school?
J:
My expectations for the school this year might seem a little out there, but I expect them to win every game, there's not a team that can't be beaten on any given day, and I think we can stay on the winning side.

C: How excited are you to play in the holy war rivalary?
J:The holy war is crazy, I'm stoked to play in it. Going out and playing in cougar blue against the ute red really gets me excited. It's one of the things that I am looking foreword to the most.

I also chatted with Joey's Mother. I asked her a couple questions about her son.

C: How proud are you of your son and his choice to go to BYU and stay close to home?
JM: Haha good question. I'm very happy that he choose to stay so close to home so we can go to every game without having to spend a lot of money on travel.

C: Your son was on of the best recruits in Utah, why do you think he is?
JM: My son works very hard on the field, during practice, he hits the gym daily and he also study's very hard at home without me asking him.

C: Last question. Do you think he will make it to the next level?
JM: Of course I do I'm his mother. In all seriousness I think if he works hard and keeps up with his studies I think he can do whatever he puts his mind to.

There you have it. A proud mother and her stud of a son.

No comments:

Post a Comment